Chief Growth Officer, Partner
Chad J. Gottlieb is a Partner, the Chief Growth Officer and Chair of our Corporate & Business Transactions Practice Group. He focuses primarily on M&A (buy-side and sell-side), private equity, securities law, corporate law, intellectual property (trademark branding, clearance, and prosecution), and marketing and telemarketing compliance (including with respect to federal and state consumer protection laws). Chad has also experience in internal investigations, audits and responses involving government or administrative agency inquiries, investigations or formal legal requests relating to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), state telemarketing laws, and state Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (UDAP) laws.
Chad represents a wide range of clients, including accredited investors, growth-stage companies, small and medium-sized business owners and private equity firms.
- Represented a South Florida real estate developer and a South Florida private equity family office in connection with their joint venture acquisition of a national big box retailer’s corporate headquarters for more than $100 million. This transaction involved the creation of several layers of corporate entities, drafting LLC and LP agreements, creation of tenancy in common agreement, 1031 exchange considerations, and other property-related agreements.
- Served as buy-side counsel for a parking and transportation technology company’s strategic acquisition of all of the issued and outstanding equity securities of a vehicle immobilization company that has government contracts with local agencies and municipalities across the country. The transaction involved a complex pre-closing restructure of the acquisition target as well as the inclusion of unique transaction-specific business terms providing for up to an eight-figure purchase price.
- Assisted innovative online for-sale-by-owner real estate platform business in the complex reorganization of family of corporate entities involving the transfer of assets, creation of an employee stock plan, establishment of an intellectual property holding company, and preparation of other related agreements required to separate existing and future business lines relating to the company’s proprietary technology.
- Served as buy-side counsel for a South Florida private equity firm’s plastic surgery and aesthetic center platform company’s add-on transaction of an Alabama-based plastic surgery center and med spa. Our work included the handling of diligence through the preparation of transactional documents, deal closing, and post-closing employment agreements.
- Served as sell-side counsel in connection with the sale of a case management and performance tracking software company with public housing authority, disaster relief organizations, social service agencies, and nonprofit customers across the U.S. In addition to handling all parts of the transaction for the sellers, including the negotiation of transactional documents, post-closing employment agreement and other closing matters, we facilitated a pre-closing contribution of a portion of one of the sellers’ S-corp stock to a charitable gift fund that provided a meaningful income tax deduction for the seller and, at the same time, limited capital gains treatment in connection with the stock disposition for the portion of stock contributed to the charitable gift fund.
Before joining the DarrowEverett team, Chad served as Junior Partner and General Counsel for a South Florida boutique venture capital firm concentrating on investments in early and growth-stage startups. In addition, Chad previously served as Vice President of Operations and General Counsel for a case management and tracking performance Software as a Service Company with clients across the United States.
Lead Generation Industry Facing Massive Change: Are You Ready? — via JD Supra, December, 2023
Peekaboo: How To Continue Preparations for Brave New (Data Privacy) World — via JD Supra, September, 2023
Florida Business Climate Great for Pickleball, But Risks Are in Play — via JD Supra, August, 2023
Alexa, What Do You Think of Florida’s New Data Privacy Act? — via JD Supra, August, 2023
Born in the USA? Product Origin Claims Nothing to Mess With — via JD Supra, March, 2023