Our regulatory attorneys regularly advise clients regarding the interaction between federal and state procurement law. In addition, our attorneys have years of experience dealing with municipal zoning and other land use restrictions relating to solar projects. Such experience comes both from representing clients before applicable municipal boards, as well as serving on municipal boards. This has given our attorneys first hand experience in advocacy relating to municipal solar matters, as well as the process of crafting zoning and other applicable land use ordinances.
Practice group members focusing on real estate transactions bring decades of experience in leasing and acquisition of land to the renewable energy industry, including preparing and reviewing solar leases, solar easements and option agreements on behalf of landowners and tenants
Those Renewable Energy Practice Group members who focus on corporate transactions have deep experience in all components of renewable energy project development, including, without limitation, private equity offerings geared toward raising capital, syndicating tax credits and state law compliance with tax and grant requirements. The corporate attorneys in the Renewable Energy Practice Group are also experienced in diligence reviews of Interconnection Service Agreements, Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) and Net Metering Credit Agreements.
Our attorneys represent clients in transactions ranging from negotiating utility, access and shading easements to simple credit agreements to complex, multi‑party tax equity financings. Additional services include:
- Real estate, corporate and regulatory due diligence on portfolio financing arrangements;
- Entity formation, tax structuring and outside general counsel assistance;
- Assistance with site control through lease or acquisition, permitting, interconnection application and offtake agreements;
- Municipal matters, such as negotiating payment-in-lieu-of-tax agreements and zoning compliance;
- Project development support, including negotiating engineering, procurement and construction contracts and operation and maintenance services agreements;
- Project financing, including bridge loans, term loans and tax equity financing;
- Mergers and acquisitions, including purchases and sales of individual renewable energy facilities and of portfolios consisting of several facilities;
- Investment vehicle structuring for clean energy finance, raising capital from clean energy investors and deployment of investment capital through equity or debt investments;
- Advisory services on a broad range of state utility matters, including net metering, SRECs, interconnection standards, back-up/standby rates, feed-in tariffs, renewable portfolio standards, public procurement and property taxation
- Negotiation of energy contracts, such as PPAs and Net Metering Credit Agreement
- Regulatory compliance, such as compliance with utility tariffs, environmental regulations and energy regulations